Careers Education continues to be an important aspect of a student's development. From Year 7 upwards, students have lessons, conferences and individual interviews to help identify:
- areas of interest
- skills and qualifications needed
- courses and training available
- individual skills and personal qualities
- local Labour Market Information
In Years 10 and 12 all students have a week of work experience to introduce them to the adult environment and world of work. Often expectations are different, and it is a useful exercise for students to find out what they may be interested in.
We are supported by many organisations who ensure that students have up-to-date advice. BGN works in partnership with The Careers and Enterprise Company who provide us with up-to-date employer need and labour market information and support us in the constant evaluation of our careers programme. BGN also employs an impartial careers advice service. Adviza is a service for 13-19 year-olds aiming to support individuals to achieve in school and accesses specialist services. All students have the opportunity to have a one on one interview with our adviser who then produces an individual action plan for the student. This is an excellent service which helps to co-ordinate support for our students.
The 6th Form is encouraged to prepare for university entrance and attend Open Days to gain a valuable insight into expectations and life away from home. A detailed programme of support through the Adviza service ensures that whatever the aspirations of the students, appropriate advice is given.
We have a range of facilities to support students in school. These include:
- Careers Library in the LRC
- Computer Programmes including KUDOS, eclips
- UCAS support (organised by Mrs S O'Donnell and Mrs M Ellul)
- Careers Programme (organised by Mrs L Harris)
- Work Experience and Placements (Yr 10 organised by Mrs S Lillis. Yr 12 organised by Mrs R Peel). The work experience form can be downloaded and is available below.
- BGN students have support from our "ADVIZA" Careers Advisor who can be contacted via the school.
- Careers Fair held each November for students and parents in years 10-13