Latest school news...
Last modified 22.05.13
The school now have an email address that you may use to report your...Read More
Last modified 01.05.13
Tickets are still available for the Starlight Express Theatre Trip in...Read More
Latest sixth form news...
Last modified 03.05.13
ear Parent / Guardian, SIXTH FORM LEAVERS MASS: FRIDAY 7TH JUNE...Read More
Last modified 03.05.13
Dear Parent/Guardian RE: Sixth Form Leavers Prom – Whately Hall...Read More
Key Stages 3, 4 and 5
We teach a 2-year Key Stage 3 which starts with six weeks of basic Science skills in Year 7 to enable pupils to come to terms with the equipment and procedures that are found in secondary school laboratories. Pupils then cover nine topics (three from each of Biology, Chemistry and Physics) in each of Years 7 and 8 to ensure full coverage of the National Curriculum. The scheme of work has been tailored by our own Science staff but is largely based on our previous scheme, “Eureka! Success in
We want students to enjoy Science, to learn important information through a range of activities including practical, ICT, writing and discussion. They will be encouraged to solve problems, to understand how scientists work and how ideas about science develop.
The courses in each year are modular with end of unit tests which enable progress and success to be measured. Quizzes and revision sheets allow learning to be checked in a fun way.
In Year 9 all students will begin their GCSE Science. In Year 9 the students will complete 6 out of the 12 modules towards their GCSE Science.
Students study courses in Science provided by Edexcel.
Most students will study for two Science GCSEs, one is simply called GCSE Science and the
content of it is relevant to students in their everyday life. The majority of students will gain their
grade for GCSE Science at the end of Year 10.
Except for students who study GCSE Science over 2 years, students in Year 11 will then study GCSE Additional Science which builds on the work covered in GCSE Science.
In both GCSE Science and GCSE Additional Science the work is taught in topics divided between Biology, Chemistry, and Physics taught by specialist teachers in the Science Department.
External assessments will take place in November, March, and June contributing 60% of the final marks. The remaining 40% is made up of assessment activities and assessment of practical skills.
Students may opt to study separate sciences in Biology, Chemistry and Physics. They are taught in a discrete group studying the work from GCSE Science, GCSE Additional Science and additional topics.
Post 16 Education
Specialist teachers offer AS/A2 level Biology, Chemistry, and Physics.
Events in our calendar...